Sunday, January 07, 2007

Reverse culture shock

Just under 48 hours since i've arrived back, and i'm definitely still getting used to stuff back here after five months away. Things like how i get into the car and wonder why things look strange to me, and then i realise that the steering wheel is on the other side of the vehicle; or how my ear pricks up whenever i hear a Singaporean accent being spoken, then it hits me that duh, i'm back in S'pore so of course i'd hear the accent again; or like i step into the supermarket semi-expecting nice Christmas music to play over the speakers, only to be jolted into reality with the persistently jarring refrains of gong xi gong xi gong xi ni ah instead...

Yup well i'm glad that i somehow possessed the foresight to book my flight back when i did - not too early as to shorten the good times in NC, yet also not too late as to not be able to catch a bit of rest and settling in before school starts again. And i was also somehow pleasantly surprised that for once UA didn't delay me by too long on the way back (only half an hour or so late, which when put against the rest of my track record with them is pretty decent) so i managed to get back home at a not too unearthly hour, and i didn't even have any baggage misplaced, which is not a guarantee with them, i must say. Did have to fork out $50 for a piece of overweight baggage though, for one bag was 7 lbs over the limit. And this is after a very thorough and very painful process on my party of taking out tons and tons of stuff from my bag that i'd actually have wanted to bring back home with me such as all my books (probably will never look at them at any time in the near or far future, but i'm the clingy sort) which probably would have added another 20 or so lbs to my baggage. Ah but what's done is done i suppose...

Thankfully am not affected too much by jetlag - save perhaps for my stomach, which demands feeding in the morning, something that seldom happens usually. A bit tired here and there, but that should ease off in the days to come...

Most of my weekend was spent lazing around the house while squeezing in an occasional complaint here and there about the oppressive heat and humidity. Have gotten down to unpacking just a wee bit though, and i suspect that my bags will remain largely in the state that they are currently in for quite some time to come. One thing i did spend a lot of time on was retuning the guitar, which had gone down by a couple of whole tones methinks. Also spent lots of time watching some dvds that i bought from the us cos it's far cheaper there than over here.

Today went to church and met up with some of the cell people. Attracted much unwanted attention due to the length of my hair. Practically everyone reacted in the same two-part manner - the first part saying that they liked my hair like that, and the second part asking what my father had to say about it... After service went down to Black Canyon [yup it's moved to just a minute or so from my house, away from Serene Centre (i can imagine why, it's a much nicer place here)] for a bit with the cell peeps. Was great catching up and all... And i just came back from dinner with my grandparents just now - my grandma said that she liked my hair too. Unfortunately she also linked that compliment to her thinking that my side profile now looks very much like that of a girl's...

Sigh so fast and school starts tomorrow. My Mondays feature 10-11, 12-6 days, which is hardly peachy. Must look at it within the larger context of a 3 1/2 day week to be less bitter with my Mon schedule i guess... One thing's for sure though, i'd better get into the habit of doing mon work as soon as i get it, cos the last thing i want is to be cramming it all in to my Sunday, which i've sorta resolved to keep as work-free as humanly possible. Yupyup we'll see how that goes...

No comments: