Wednesday, October 19, 2005

my dealings at the deck

Yesterday, i found out that that deep-fried spherical snack almost the size and shape of a tennis ball filled with peanuts and covered by sesame seeds is called, surprise surprise, a sesame ball *slaps head*. Or more accurately, a ma2 qiu2. Was at the waffle stall and decided to get something to add to the waffle i was getting, so this intriguing snack caught my eye, so i pointed to it and told the auntie "auntie, jia1 zhe4 ge4". Then she was like, "oh, ni3 yao4 ma2 qiu2 ah?", and i triumphantly affirmed that "ah, shi4 shi4..." Haha so chalk up another food item on the list of stuff that i am able to order in Chinese. Woohoo...

Then, today, for the first time in my nus life, i ordered from the dong dong claypot store, after almost one and a half years of trying to decipher what those hieroglyphic scribblings on the wall next to it that i later gathered were Chinese translations of the english dish names read as... How, cos i gathered enough information from others who buy from this stall to be able to make an informed decision as to what to order, without eventually being subjected to being served a mystery dish that i did not order, thanks to the usual Chinese-language communication breakdown that has me emphatically nodding my head and saying "shi4 shi4" whenever the auntie, confused by my muffled mandarin, asks me to confirm my order.

Oh, anyway, the kong bao chicken wasn't bad =)

Never ran as long and as fast for a bus as i did today... Much needed exercise.

No comments: