Saturday, February 17, 2007

Better late than never

Well i've talked at length before regarding my procrastination regarding getting work done, which has led to me now at midterm break realizing that there's a lot of stuff to do if i'm to get back on the path to academic excellence (haha that's so unrepresentative of the reality, but i just like the sound of it); but i've come to realize that this procrastinating streak in me extends to other areas as well.

One good piece of evidence in support of that is the fact that i just opened my Christmas presents. And not just this year's ones, but in fact some of last year's too. (With regards to last year's ones, i had just opened the flap of the wrapping to see what they were, but i did not actually take them out until today. Additionally, a week or so after coming back i opened up my drawers only to find a significant amount of $ inside - i then realized what they were: last year's CNY $, which i'd every intention of banking in last year but never got around to, eventually forgetting to do so and going off on exchange...

But anyways, i'm looking forward to this break. Of course not because of all the work that i've to do, but for the opportunity to relax just a bit and regroup for the second half of the sem, where hopefully the old academically-inclined matt (haha like real) will be back. It definitely helps that there's not much CNY stuff to do where my family is concerned, even my Chinese half of the family doesn't do much apart from the dinner tonight and the visiting of a grand total of one house tomorrow, which ought to be done by after lunch. Just as well cos i don't really like this holiday much - i'm the kind which left to his own devices wouldn't mind going around dressed head-to-toe in old black clothes throughout the fifteen days just to irk the more superstitious lot...

So in any case, i really have to get quite a bit of work done this break. The first item on my agenda is the much-delayed forum posting. I seriously hate doing this - everyone knows that if not for the participation grades no one would really care about it, but simply because it is graded there's this persistent open secret one-upmanship that goes on, whereby people are basically milking whatever teeny bit of opinion that they have for all its microbial worth (of course i can write this because when i finally do post my stuff on the forum, i'd merely be doing the same). Whatever it is though, those super fake-o formalities that everyone uses in their posts like "here's just my two cents worth"; "hope that i'm correct in saying this" and "these are just my humble opinions" are just so cringe-inducing to me. I guess i've to remind myself about the need to take work seriously, that God calls for us to adopt a spirit of excellence in whatever we do, for His glory.

What to do, where to go for holiday? Will i even have a holiday?

No comments: