Thursday, June 30, 2005

In the Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

I'd stay in the garden with Him
'Tho the night around me be falling
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

- Words and Music by Charles Austin Miles, 1913

I first rechanced (for lack of the proper word) upon this hymn after a long time, at the wake service for my ex-teacher's mother. This apparently was one of her favourite hymns, and Mr Ong sang it to the people at the wake in memory of her.

Well, this hymn has stuck in my mind for some reason, and today i finally managed to find the time to look up a little of the background behind this song, which may be read in full at this website.

It never occured to me that this hymn was inspired by Mary Magdelene's encounter with the resurrected Jesus outside the garden tomb... But anyway, i think it's good to sometimes look beyond the hymn, the nice melody and cheery 6/8 time signature and the happy words, and see what the inspiration was that led the songwriters to write that hymn... In any case, i more or less concur with the author's stand on the hymn...

I do think that having the opportunity to just walk and talk with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and later to do His bidding in spite of what it may mean for us, solely out of love for Him, is really something that i desire in my own spiritual life, to truly be intimate with God, and to be obedient to His call. 1 Samuel 15:22 says "to obey is better than sacrifice." I thank God for the challenge to obey.

No comments: