Thursday, August 03, 2006

In the beautiful country...

Some interesting things to take note of in reflection of the past thirty hours or so...:

My ancestry played a role in my packing behaviour – what do I mean? Well I ended up packing five pairs of footwear altogether – track shoes, formal shoes, everyday shoes, sandals, and – beat this – gore-tex boots, which were bought using my excess credits before I ORD-ed. In fact, one of my two suitcases is practically devoted to them – makes me feel a bit Imelda Marcosesque – and hence in touch with my Filipino side. Then of course, the amount of overpacking i have done with me being equipped with well more than the sufficient quantities of several items, according to several reliable sources attests well to the Peranakan habit of hoarding as observed in several of them...

As usual, after the fond farewells with my sending-off party [by the way, thanks you all - i really appreciate your sacrifice of a good sleep to see me off - i realised that i must be quite an important fella since almost half of the exco came to send me off haha (kidding!)], and as a result, my parents and i ended up as one of the last few people to board the plane – they were paging for passengers Tay again =p
The sending-off party - thanks you folks =)...

At Narita everything is sooo expensive – for internet access it’s either 100 Yen for 10 minutes on one of the computers provided or 500 Yen for those who want to access the wireless – needless to say what i am typing now at Narita in fact is cut and pasted from the document that i was actually typing there - which was on MS word… Before we boarded the plane my mother decided to buy some sushi - ‘Narita Roll’ they call it (¥1365) – not bad actually, save for the fact that there was ebi in it – but I was hungry enough to eat the half of the sushi that did not include the ebi – bad decision – ended up feeling quite sick in the stomach after that, all the way till after takeoff, and even had white thingies clouding my vision for a while… yuck so much for that...

The poisonous narita roll

My first meal in the US - first of dozens to come i predict
and tons better than the narita roll

Hmm realised that this is the third year running that i've spent time in both Narita and San Francisco Airports - and it reached as freaky a stage as me actually being able to recognize the counter girl at the See's candies outlet in the San Fran domestic terminal transit area - i've seen her each of the three times i've been there...

I love the weather here =)

I am pretty pleased with myself for being able to create an internet connection for my laptop at the family friend's house whom i am currently staying in - the house is otherwise devoid of a connection (but i have to find a way to make sure that my card isn't charged for it once the so-called free trial period ends at the end of three months hmmm...)

My host's granny, who also stays in the same house, somehow came to the impression that i understand Cantonese since i sort of followed her request when she asked for siu siu fan when i was dishing out the rice during dinner just now - of course now i'm too paiseh to inform her otherwise during the overwhelming majority of times when i actually more or less catch no ball when she says something in Cantonese, forcing me to do a token nod and smile in agreement whenever such a moment arises instead...

Well anyway, to you (i.e. whoever is reading this), if i had the time, i'd email you individually and say stuff, but unfortunately such time is not at present available to me, so apologies for that - do email me to keep in touch though, and i'll probably feel obliged to respond at some length to you personally (hehe macam like i sooo important harhar) - yupyup but whatever it is, i'll try my best to keep in touch =)

This btw is the plane i took to Portland from San Fran
which came without one of my luggages

No comments: