Sunday, August 13, 2006

You never let go

Hmm first things first i'll be posting all of my photos on the site labelled "US PICS" in the links column over there =======> so do take a look if you want to see more pictorial representations of some of the nonsense i mention here...

I came to the realization today that using facebook was the best way to put my pics online in a way that all can see, since i had already been using it as prompted by some of the UNC peeps. I know that you know that my usual rule is none of this online friendship stuff (which is why i neither have msn nor have friendster), but figured no harm in at least getting an account, though i probably won't be doing anything much with it. And further more it's a really convenient way for me to upload my photos for people to see since you don't need to be a facebook user to view the albums, and there's unlimited space for the pics too...

I was able to come to this realization because today basically i did nothing more than slack at home - nope i didn't even leave te house, which is just as well since here it can get pretty hot (over 100 degrees F), though thankfully without the energy-sapping humidity back in S'pore. This meant more than ample time to just laze around at home (since the lack of a car and driver made going out not a possibility). I even had time in the evening to catch some tennis on espn - the last point of Roger Federer's semifinal victory over Fernando Gonzalez in the Toronto Masters and the whole semifinal match between Jelena Jankovic and Serena Williams in the LA JPMorgan Chase Open which the former won (both outcomes being to my delight). As much as i follow tennis, my lack of cable back home means that this match was probably only the third or fourth full tennis match that i've ever watched in my life - and it was quite fun to do so...

Hmm yup Fresno so far has been pretty boring (btw there's a suburb of Portland called Boring, and it's right next to another suburb called Happy Valley - go figure...) but i guess i expected that lah- i was here just last year anyway so i've seen pretty much most of the little that there is to see... Anyway, it's good to slack a little now and then...

Here we're staying with some former church friends, who happen to also be Filipinos - and needless to say from being plunged into the deep end with Cantonese now Tagalog is the language that i have to tackle - i can roughly understand what is going on in a conversation, and be able to respond to questions asked me in Tagalog, but every single reply i give is in English, and more often than not i'm still left fairly clueless... I tell you, there's not a day that does not go by here when i do not wish that my parents had just heck care about Mandarin and gone ahead and taught me Tagalog last time - either way i'd still do badly for my so-called 'mother tongue' anyway...

Well, i'll finally be flying to school on Tuesday, after almost two weeks of pure slacking - am both excited yet apprehensive at the same time over what to expect. I'm thankful for these two weeks as a good means of transition so to speak between the busyness of the supposed holiday period in S'pore and the different pace of studying life at UNC. The words of this song (which i've probably at some point in time heard in S'pore but have since heard twice, and remembered over here) speak to me and are very apt at this point in time. To read them however you'll have to go here since the site itself says that the lyrics are not to be reproduced without permission, and you know what a guai kia i am =p Well, enjoy and reflect...

No comments: