Monday, January 30, 2006

yearning for a dog in the year of the dog

What's the most significant thing that has caught my attention over the cny so far?

Not the peranakan-themed reunion dinner we had at my house on saturday featuring very good (catered from Charlie's) ayam buah keluak, sate babi, curry devil and other stuff (much of which contained seafood and hence may have tasted good, i dunno)

Not the enthusiastic cny countdown that amused me so, courtesy of the group of children in the neighbour's house across the field from my room (50 metres away but still oh-so-audible and oh-so-irritating too)

Not my going to church this morning only to find a significantly diminished congregation, perhaps owing to the visiting and all the other stuff entailed in cny, while noting to myself that this would never happen to me, since my family (and in particular my father) would just have to be in church regardless of what day it is, no matter how many houses there might have been to visit.

Not my going visiting to my grand total of one house today, and eating porridge and kueh pie tee at this particular house, as we do every single year [incidentally cny is more or less the only time of year when i ever eat porridge willingly, unless i am sick (why is porridge a food for the sick anyway?)]

Not the hearing of positive feedback about the pork floss thingies that were made for MEET from my relatives. Once you start you can't stop.

Not my wasting my whole afternoon away, trying rather lamely to reassure myself that since it's the Sabbath i should be resting from all schoolwork anyway.

Not all that time i've spent experimenting with the guitar over the past few days, especially since now that its case is gone, it requires that much less effort for lazy me to use it...

Not the dinner i just had that featured lots more great peranakan food (ayam buah keluak again, satay, itek sioh, together with more gross seafood stuff).

Not the realization that my father's old Suzuki van's coe expires this year, and that the potential purchase of a new vehicle to replace it would provide excellent motivational material for me to finally get started on anything to do with driving.

Nope, it's none of these, but rather the poster i saw on the way back home on the lamp post near my house and also the flyer that was slotted into my mailbox.

A lost dog notice from one of the neighbour's houses, for a ten year old male Jack Russell who's partially blind, needs medical attention, and responds to the name "Blackjack"...

Poor thing. Hope that he has been found, or if not that he'll be found soon. Note the similarities between him and Bingo: male, terrier blood, old, health problems, gambling-inspired name starting with the letter "B" =(

No comments: