Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Slipping off the Hill

Wow, i just had my first paper two days ago and today i'm already more or less done with them, save for the email-submission take-home paper that i'm still in the process of researching on. But knowing me, my desires to be done with this paper by say, tomorrow night, while very possible to be realized, will in all probability not come to pass, and i'll probably end up scrambling to finish the paper just before the deadline on Thursday, while at the same time frantically packing my bags before leaving for the airport.

Well anyways, i'd have to be honest and admit that i did not prepare for my papers as much as i'd ought to have. Thankfully things turned out for large part in my favor. For my Intro to American Government paper the prof had given us in advance four questions to prepare for of which he'd randomly choose two to field in the actual paper, and the two which did come out were those that i'd been better prepared for; while for my American Urbanization paper, one of the compulsory IDs that i had to do was one that the class had been discussing about just minutes before the start of the paper, so i was able to gather more about it than i otherwise might have had. And also enough IDs that i was more familiar with came out so this time i wasn't left grasping for straws like i was the last time... Yah actually come to think of it quite heng ah... Think God's telling me to be more on the ball next time...

Obviously Pilot G-2 ink doesn't sit well with exam writing paper...

And i know i've mentioned this before but i'll say it again, i've been inexplicably calm regarding the exam period. Yes of course the whole pass/fail + non-cumulative + low weightage power combo has in large part contributed to that, but still i can't believe how unworried i've been. Went to the High Point game on Saturday (just after my first paper) and judging from the poor attendance (like just more than half-full only!) it appears that the majority of UNC students do not share my calm demeanor... (Although, come to think of it, had we been playing a team like Ohio State instead on that date, rather than, pardon my saying this, a no-brainer game like High Point, think the Dean Dome would've been packed...) Well, at least i can tell the grandchildren that i was there for Roy William's 500th Division I win, and that the two whole seconds that i was distracted from the game just also happened to be the two whole seconds in which Tyler Hansbrough chose to score only his third three-pointer in his career - dang...

The final goodbyes have been coming in very rapidly as of late - just now had a dinner where i said goodbye to a whole host of people - sad lah - it's times like these that i wish that i'd open my inbox and receive an email from the relevant authorities approving me staying here for another sem (and pass/fail for yet another sem would be but an added bonus), but still at the end of the day i know the Lord has other plans for me back home, and his plans for me while i'm here are still ongoing too - and what's gone on so far has just been awesome. Ah, but guess it's hard to grasp the reality that in around 60 hours i'll leave the Hill almost for good (i mean, there's still the handful of days when i'm here in the new year, but doubt much can be done then...

As of late, i've come to the realization that (especially since i've been covering this in my linguistics course here) i've been un/subconsciously engaging in a great deal of code-switching while i've been here. When i talk to Americans it inevitably has a sort of American accent attached to it (a complete fake-o one, but an accent nevertheless), peppered with the usual Americanisms like "have a good one", "neat", "sweet" and "later". And of course things change once i speak to S'poreans again. I now do this automatically, such as how whenever i talk on the phone to an American, my accent automatically changes and anyone within earshot can guess i'm talking to an ang moh. In fact, rather alarmingly, when i've had to read something aloud, which has been the case several times during Bible study, i've tended to sound more American too - freaky - so my dear cg peeps, next sem if when i read a passage and sound somewhat suspect i give you the authority to offer me a stern rebuke haha... Ah and in any case, think my warped speech patterns when i return will make for an interesting linguistics research project - any takers =p?

And you know i'm one for remembering random dates - today's the five-year anniversary of my enlistment - eek.

No comments: