Saturday, December 09, 2006

Making ice while the sun doesn't shine

Well, for starters, we've been having quite a bit of freezing weather here recently - and i mean freezing as in 0 deg C/32 deg F and below kinda freezing, not as in the nus lecture theatre/central library 5th floor kinda freezing, which over here is equivalent to unseasonably warm. I've been really digging this weather, while it lasts (only regret is the constant 0% chance of precipitation that always seems to accompany these frigid temperatures so far).

And to that extent, the budding boliao scientist in me decided to conduct an experiment. I filled a plastic bottlecap with water and placed it on the a/c unit right outside my window last night and just let it sit there overnight.

There's my guinea pig sitting outside my window close to a Halloween leftover.

Then i woke up this morning, and the first thing i did was to head to the window and take a look at my bottlecap. This is what i found:
Erm so you can't really see the results from this shot,
apart from what looks like a ghost staring at the camera...
Ah now this shot is better - in short, i made ice outdoors =)

Yupyup yet another cheap thrill i know, but still quite cool eh (literally too)?

Hmm well in other news, it appears that the little malady that i had which has its roots in Thanksgiving never went away - it's been more than a week and i still regularly spew gross yellow stuff every morning, and occasionally snort out yellow and red stuff from my nose (who ever knew that sickness can be so colorful?), and also am alternating between wet cough in the morning and dry cough at night. Through my amateur diagnosis, i've concluded that it's some sort of upper respiratory tract infection, something that i get regularly back home too, which is part of the reason why i'm not really batting an eyebrow regarding this (and btw the illness is hardly as serious as the name suggests, at least in my case). And in any case the occasionally bloody nose (and btw my nose has never bled before in my life apart from the little bit during the time i lost control of my bike down the stairs long ago and bashed my head against the concrete floor) is most probably just due to the dry air. Yeah, so it's no big deal really. And since this is a viral infection, doctors and antibiotics won't do any good - so think i should just let this run its course. Of course, at the same time it still is a deal, no matter how small it is - the important thing for me now is to not let it interfere with my finals.

And speaking of finals, well just for the record:


12-9
LING 202 - Language Change (12pm)

12-11
POLI 100 - Intro to American Government (9am)
HIST 584 - The Promise of Urbanization: American Cities in the 19th and 20th Centuries (12pm)

12-14
HIST 475 - Great Britain in the 20th Century (take-home paper: due 10am)
US 1674/2623 - US Airways flight to Atlanta via Charlotte (2:15pm) *hee*

Can you believe that they've papers that start at 7am here? Thankfully i never kena one of those...

No comments: