Sunday, October 12, 2008

up to speed

It’s been a bit of a while since the last time here, mainly because there has been a lot of nie stuff to do, the first big wave of which has more or less come to a close. Don’t get the impression, though, that i’ve been hard at work. Not really. Think it’s been by God’s grace that things have actually still been rather manageable, and for all my latent complaints about irrelevance and a wasting of my time, looking back things were hardly as tortuous as i initially would have imagined them to be (Not that i’m saying that i’ve changed my mind about the irrelevance and a wasting of time. More that i’ve had somewhat of a change of heart at least to the extent that i’ve realized that there definitely is a reason why there’s nie, for after all God has put me here right. Just that my own human limitations are such that i’m at least at this time not able to see what these higher purposes are.).


In the meantime there’s been various stuff that has been going on – the noise i’ve just heard on the tv as they were reporting on the F1 Japan Grand Prix reminds me of that horrible racket that I had no choice but to tahan when the S’pore leg of the race was in town. I never was a big fan of living in town, and at least for the next four years or so i’ve another reason to be reticent since come every September I’ll be plagued by the seemingly endless whirring of the cars doing their laps. It just so happens that my room window faces the race, so it gets that much more annoying. And for me F1 has never been much more than a waste of fuel, unnecessary carbon emissions, and a bunch of people with too much money on their hands flaunting it left right and center and rubbing it in the faces of us ordinary folk. Ah well, call me a nimby if you want to, but at least I would be perfectly fine with having foreign workers live in my neighborhood…


Just the other day, i happened to be feeling quite hungry, and the only thing within immediate reach of me at home was a bag of fun size M&Ms – and they just so happened to be made in China. After a split second, my empty stomach won the rock paper scissors with my skeptical brain, and i wolfed down one of the small packets. That’s not wholly representative of my attitude towards Chinese-made food though. As much as white rabbit candies have been an integral part of my childhood (my favorite way to eat them was to try, usually in vain, to peel the rice paper off and let it melt in my mouth first before eating the candy proper – gosh, i sound like i’m delivering a eulogy here), i don’t think i’ll be having another one of them anytime soon – at least not unless i get hungry again =p

No comments: