Sunday, September 10, 2006

They evade me so...

I type this in another of my anything-but-schoolwork moods, since i am almost about to finish two killer readings on mainstream models of welfare states, after which i then have to proceed to do a two-page response to them to submit electronically by tomorrow. This is the only real killer course that i am taking - and i can honestly admit that at this point in time, i am only not dropping it because it is very favourably mapped. It is interesting, i won't deny that, but the level is just rather beyond me (like half of my class are grad students). For these two readings in question, my general response to them so far is "huh?". And this is only the first set of readings - i'm supposed to do this for every week's set of readings. And i ask myself, how am i gonna write a response to them if i really catch no ball?

And while we're on the subject of catching no ball, that was precisely what the tar heels did just now during the VA Tech game - a crushing loss (35-10) with annoying and very avoidable interceptions (not that i would be able to avoid them though...) - when i saw that the situation for us was helpless by the opening of the third quarter, i just decided to leave the stadium together with other jaded Singaporeans and go back to my room to continue with reading this incomprehensible stuff.

But basically, what i've been meaning to say is that it's extra frustrating because i think i'm really rather diligent a student here - this is like the most productive saturday i've had workwise in this entire calendar year methinks (for me to be able to start work anytime before noontime on a saturday is really an event worth popping open a bottle of champagne to) - and i started at nine... And yet in spite of my newfound chao mugger personality i'm still way behind work wise - i've barely given time to my usual time-wasting pursuits like typing emails at an over-leisurely pace, checking up on US Open scores online or taking forever to tag my facebook pictures...

Ah but it's hardly the end of the world like i probably make this seem like - this work will be completed in time and i will get through this whole atas welfare class which ironically has deprived me of much of its own subject matter...

You see things are already starting to get better for me - in an hour's time, i'm off for dinner at Arby's =)

No comments: